Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Screen Story

In making this video, I wanted to show people (even myself), that we all spend way too much time on our phones. I thought Louis C.K.'s Conan episode was great, I just couldn't show all of it. We're losing the ability to be content with our thoughts. We're so afraid of being alone that the second we feel it we reach for that thing in our pockets. Our imaginations have been tainted because we don't allow ourselves to be one with our thoughts nearly as much as in the past.

I chose to use textual, image and auditory modes to portray the issue I wanted to bring up. I did so because I didn't want to solely use one of the modes, for I thought the viewers could lose interest if they only saw pictures or had to read words on the screen the entire time.

The tone used was more humorous than serious. If the first scene is a video clip from a Conan interview I'd say it's definitely more humorous than any other. I thought this was a good way to attack the technology issue. To be able to hear Louis C.K. poke fun at a problem allows the audience to be more open to listening about the topic. If I had used intense music or dark imagery to show the problems with technology, people might think I'm taking it a little too far. When we laugh at the topic at first, we're more accepting to learn more (at least for me). We're all guilty of being addicted to technology, but we're being told in a much friendlier, comical way.

Throughout the video, the text I used was always centered. I tried to avoid any fancy designs or words flying across the screen because I felt it would've been 'too much'. I thought that the scenes from Conan were enough flash so I decided to keep the text and transitions simple.

One section that wasn't my favorite was the time lapse of checking my phone in the morning. I liked the start, but should've had more information to put in while the video was going. I felt that there was too much of a delay between scenes, but I could probably fix that. The music addition helped the delay slightly, but more information would be of more help.

And who doesn't like a good quote from Ferris Bueller's Day off?

No comments:

Post a Comment